K Troop 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment

The Blackhorse In Vietnam 1966 - 1972

hosted by Bob Hersey


Darrell Asa Jackson


PFC - E3 - Army - Selective Service
11th Armored Cavalry
20 year old Married,
*Caucasian, Male
Born on Apr 24, 1946
His tour of duty began on Aug 28, 1966
Casualty was on Oct 14, 1966
Body was recovered

Panel 11E - - Line 74

Remains interred Tribal Cemetery, Sweetwater, Nez Perce County, Idaho

Photo Submissio: John Effinger

* The official record of Darrell Asa Jackson lists his race as Caucasian.   In a letter to John Effinger of I Troop, dated February 20, 2004, Darrell's sister, Venus L. St.Paul-Endicott writes that Darrell was an enrolled member of the Nez Perce Tribe of Idaho.  His parents were Jacob Bride Jackson, enrolled Nez Perce, and Frances Lou
Slow Jackson, enrolled Sioux.

The Combat Area Casualties Current File, also known as the CACCF, provides for a race classification of an American Indian - I.  Why PFC Jackson was listed as Caucasian is not known.

Explanation Of Terms

Do You Have A Remembrance Of This Hero?  Post It By Clicking The Button Below.

Post Remembrance Here

Darrell Asa Jackson Is Remembered On The 36th Anniversary Of His Death.

October 14, 2002
"Combat Patrol, 14 October 1966"
Posted By: Dennis Joyce, 1SG, USA, Ret
e-Mail: djoyce@airmail.net
Relationship: Patrol Leader

I was the leader of the Combat Patrol when Jackson was killed.  This was the first action K troop participated in as a Troop after our arrival in VN.  We were laagered between two, or possibly three, villages. Actually it was just a handful of hootches.

The Infantry Squad Leader, SSG Robert L. Hatcher, was to ill to take the patrol so I told Lt. Willie Manning I would take it.  We were to sweep through a group of hootches to the south of our position and swing up a wood-line south east of our position out about 1000 meters and then sweep north. We hadn't traversed 300 meters when we came to a deadfall. Although we had received no fire, we were having radio difficulties. I ordered a line formation and entered the wooded area heading north in an attempt to gain some maneuver room to continue east.

The woods proved to be impenetrable at that point. We reversed direction and skirted the wood-line back to the west and swung north again in the clear.  We set up a perimeter because our radio had gone completely dead at that point. SSG James L. Pennington (Who wasn't supposed to be there, although I didn't know it at the time.) led Jackson and two others, back into the forest claiming we must continue the mission. You can't continue a mission to locate, engage and direct fire on the enemy without a radio. I went into the forest after them. I caught up to them about 60 meters into the forest.

We were just about to return to the perimeter when it started raining hand grenades. Jackson was killed immediately and the rest of us were wounded.

Home | Base Camp | Photos | Guest Book | Taps | Contributor's Corner
Honor Roll | Links | Feed Back | Reunions | Search | Site Map